Harlingen Texas History
Harlingen (HAR - lin - jin) is a city in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, USA, south of Brownsville, Texas. The city is named after Fort Brown, which was built in 1848 on the site of Fort Brown, the official border with Mexico that the river claims. Founded in 1848, it was also home to the last battle of the American Civil War, which took place in 1865 at nearby Palmito Ranch. It was 1910, and strangely enough, the Times was still running and was classified as a "newspaper of records," not just a local newspaper, but a newspaper in itself.
Downtown prides itself on its history and is now published by the Harlingen Times, the oldest newspaper in the city and one of the largest in Texas. It includes several historic buildings, including the Texas State Capitol and several historic churches, as well as a number of museums.
Also in the museum is the Paso Real Stagecoach Inn, built on the site of a former train station at the intersection of El Paso Road and Texas Avenue. The three-bedroom hostel was in operation for the journey from Beeville to Brownsville, Texas. It was the railroad that gave the city its name, as well as the name of the city of Harlingen.
The road was known as the Rio Grande Railroad, and many agreed that the iron tracks helped to set in motion the development of the city of Harlingen and the rest of South Texas in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The construction was completed and put into operation in 1884, just a few years after the opening of the El Paso road. Many settlers in South Texas were alarmed by a series of raids in 1915-17 that were linked to the construction of a railroad from Brownsville, Texas to San Antonio. On July 25, 1915, the looters tried to cut the valley off from the other half of Texas and burned down Harlingsen Texas.
Church schools moved, additional universities were created, expansion programs began, churches and schools were relocated. The James Connally Technical Institute, founded in 1967 by Texas State Technical College and Valley International Airport, which opened in 1965, is also located on the former HAFB site.
The history of the 1960s in the Harlingen area should be explored to understand how Palm Valley came to be and later became the city itself. The total population of Texas State Technical College and Valley International Airport is now estimated at 400,000, and the total number of students at the school in its first year of operation was 54,037.
In 1990, the Census Bureau reported that more than two-thirds of Japanese Texans lived in the Harlingen area, with a total population of about 1.5 million. Funston provided a special train to take soldiers from Fort McIntosh in Laredo to Brownsville and across the border into the country, while Texas Governor James Ferguson sent a company of Texas Rangers to a pacification campaign led by Captain Henry Ransom. To assure Captain R of his pardon powers, Governor Ferguson commissioned the newly formed Texas Ranger Company and ordered him to clean up the lower Rio Grande Valley by whatever means the governor deemed necessary. A low estimate of 500 was quoted in the anarchist newspaper Regeneracion, which claimed that 1,500 Mexicans were murdered during the Sedicionistas campaign in Texas.
Gen. Henry Hutchings immediately organized a special train to send the Norias, whose two-story ranch house doubled as St. Louis, to Brownsville, Mich. Lon C. Hill chose the location for the city of Harlingen because it was near a foothill line that was to run west across the border.
A much smaller city airport called Harvey Richards Field was located in what is now Palm Valley. In 1999, the Texas Legislature officially declared the Marshall Extension Center a separate campus and it became known as Texas State Technical College at Marshall. Today it has more than 2,000 students and more than 1,500 faculty and staff. The district's infrastructure is 13 miles wide and stretches to the east, west, north, south, east and west of the Harlingen-Marshall border.
Cameron County is the southernmost county in Texas and borders the Rio Grande and the Gulf of Mexico. The project is located in the heart of Cameron County, south of the city of Harlingen and north of Marshall. It is a festive and cultural event with concerts, festivals and other events, as well as the annual Texas State Fair, the largest one-day festival in North Texas.
He designed a multipurpose tourist center in downtown Harlingen and appeared on the cover of Texas Architect in January 1964. He built the first museum building with an area of 26,000 square meters and founded in 1965 what is today the only preparatory school based on the traditions of the Marine Corps. Much of Brownsville's appeal lies in its rich South Texas heritage, so much so that the Texas Historical Society was named after him.